Please follow the guidelines before, during, and after your surgery to ensure that your operation & recovery goes smoothly:
Before Your Procedure
- Notify your surgeon as soon as possible if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold or fever.
- You will receive a phone call from our nursing and administrative staff 1-3 days prior to your procedure to review all instructions regarding your procedure. To protect your privacy, only a message to return our call will be left on your answering machine.
- If you wear contact lenses or glasses, bring a case for their safekeeping. We provide containers for removable dentures and bridgework.
- The night before your procedure you may eat a light snack before midnight. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight, not even coffee or water. This will reduce the possibility of nausea and vomiting following anesthesia. You may brush your teeth, remembering not to swallow anything. Refrain from the use of mints, chewing gum or cigarettes. Failure to follow these instructions may result in the cancellation of your procedure.
- Please do not take any medication after midnight unless instructed by your physician or our office. If you take medications on a daily basis for heart disease, blood pressure, seizure disorders, or asthma, you may continue taking them with a small sip of water. If you take aspirin, blood thinning medications or herbal supplements, please notify your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your surgery.
Day of Your Procedure
- It is your responsibility to arrange in advance for a responsible adult (18 years of age or older) to drive you home and remain with you for the first 24 hours after surgery. You cannot drive or be left alone during this period. If you fail to arrange for a responsible adult to care for you, your surgery may be canceled. Transportation by taxi or limousine, or ride sharing is not acceptable.
- We request that the person providing your transportation home remain in the facility during your stay with us.
- Please bathe or shower prior to your procedure. Remove all makeup. Do not use lotions, perfume or oils after bathing.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweatsuits and easy to button shirts or blouses that are big enough to accommodate a large bandage after your procedure. Wear comfortable shoes, no high heels, please.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry and cash, at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged property.
- Bring a list of your medications and supplements with you on the day of your procedure, both prescription and non-prescription.
- Be prepared to sign a form giving your consent for the operation. If the patient is under 18, a parent of legal guardian must accompany the patient and sign the consent form.
- Bring all insurance cards and photo ID, such as a driver’s license, and any pertinent documents with you the day of surgery. Please see the section on insurance and billing.
After Your Procedure
- Before you leave the center, you will be given written instructions for your care at home.
- After you have returned home, be sure to follow your doctor’s orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity. Unless directed otherwise, you should start your diet with clear liquids. In four to six hours you can begin to eat solid foods. By the next day you should be back to your normal diet. It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, lightheaded, dizzy or experience pain for several hours after your operation. Do not sign any important papers or make any significant decisions for at least 24 hours.
- If you have any questions or problems after surgery, please contact your doctor.
- A nurse from the center will phone you within a few days after your procedure to see how you are and answer any additional questions you may have.
- Do not drive a car, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, operate machinery or cook for 24 hours after procedure.
- Your physician will update your family after your procedure.
Have questions about your surgery or how to prepare? Please contact our office today.